After a long day, there really is no warmer welcome than a flickering fireplace in your living room to cosy up next to. A fireplace can act as a beautiful focal point of any room, adding light, warmth and atmosphere to a space. Choosing the right fireplace for your home may seem like a daunting task. While you should always choose a fireplace that you like the look of and one that you feel would suit your home, it is also important to consider practicality too. Working out which fuel will best suit your home and your lifestyle is essential, as well as considering what material your fireplace should be made of and exactly what you want from your fireplace.
For your convenience, we have put together a guide on the different types of fireplaces available and which might be most suitable for you. At Fireplace Superstore, we understand that choosing from the many different fireplace styles and options available can be overwhelming. We also believe that choosing your dream fireplace should be an enjoyable experience!
Different fireplace options
Firstly, let’s take a look at the different fireplace options available. Installing a fireplace in your home can be quite the investment so, naturally, you want to make sure that you choose the right one. The last thing you want is to choose a fireplace that is rarely used because it creates too much smoke or one that looks dirty and out of place because you do not have the time to maintain it properly.
Wood burning stove
A wood burning fireplace is the most traditional fireplace option. When you imagine an old fireplace, a wood burning stove is likely what springs to mind: the rustic smell of burning wood, the crackling sound of logs splitting and the relaxing flicker of the flames. Out of all of the options available, wood burning fireplaces are by far the most authentic design.
- Many people opt for wood burning fireplaces simply because of the charming atmosphere and ambience that they create. Today, modern wood burning stoves are available in an extensive range of different styles, finishes and sizes, so you don’t have to worry if your home is more modern than traditional.
- Despite common belief, burning wood is actually significantly healthier for the environment than other heat producing alternatives such as electricity and gas.
- A wood burning stove will never fail on you when the electricity runs out. In fact, it provides a way of staying warm and a source of light.
- It is unsafe to leave a fire unattended; even when the ashes are warm, a fire can be re-sparked.
- You need to buy and chop your own firewood and store it in a dry area to ensure it dries out before used.
- A wood burning fireplace requires more maintenance and fireplace repair than other options. Ashes need to be regularly cleaned out and the chimney should be swept and cleaned at least once a year.
A gas burning stove is a popular alternative to the traditional wood burning fireplace. This is simply because a gas burning stove offers much of the charm of a wood burning stove, but with far less maintenance and heat loss, making it the ideal option for those with busy lives and little time to dedicate to the maintenance of their fireplace. Instead of burning wood, gas fires burn natural gas or propane.
- The simple touch of a switch, remote control or thermostat starts the fire. There is no wood chopping or fire-starting required.
- Gas fireplaces are an efficient option for your home. They create a lot of heat at a low cost and can instantly warm up a room, saving you money on those ever-costly heating bills.
- As mentioned above, gas fireplaces require very little maintenance. You do not need to clear out any ash or soot once you have finished enjoying the warmth of the fire.
- While gas-burning stoves do look great, they don’t give the full effect of a genuine fire. If you are looking for that wood burning smell or the sound of a crackling fire, wood burning stoves are the better option.
- If you need to have a line installed between the fireplace and the fuel source, the cost of installing a gas fireplace can be high.
Electric fireplaces create warmth by heating interior coils with electricity. As the modern and digitalised world continues to move forward, many people are opting for electric fireplaces which project an image of flickering flames without an actual fire. This is an ideal option for the ultimate modern home.
- Electric fireplaces are the most cost-effective option of all for the amount of heat and light they produce. They are also easy to source and install, making them a quick and inexpensive option.
- If you do not have much space, electric fireplaces can fit into tight spaces where a traditional fireplace may not fit. They are also highly portable as all you need to do is plug them in.
- Electric fireplaces require very little maintenance and are a safe option for homes with children or pets.
- As the fire is not real, you are missing out on the authentic feel of a traditional fire in the home. When the power goes out, your ‘fire’ will also go out.
- As electric fireplaces run off electricity, the energy consumption is high and therefore you may experience an increase in your energy bills.
Visit a showroom to browse fireplace designs
Once you have decided which fireplace is most suitable for your home, you should take into consideration the different fireplace designs and surrounds available. From limestone to granite, there are many different types of surroundings that you can have for your fireplace. This is where it is important to take the current style and interior of your home into consideration. Be sure to choose a material that matches the materials that you have chosen for the rest of your home to ensure that your fireplace blends in nicely and complements the existing interior. A few materials available include:
- Marble: marble adds a touch of luxury to any home and is extremely durable and easy to maintain.
- Granite: the smooth surface of granite looks both contemporary and elegant in a room.
- Wood: adding a wood surround to your fireplace adds a traditional, natural touch to your home and looks great with wooden flooring.
We recommend doing your own research online (the internet is full of wonderful inspiration!) to work out what you like, and then getting in touch with a sales person from your chosen fireplace company to discuss the different styles and materials available.
If they have a showroom, take a look around. Talk to an expert and tell them what you are looking for. Fireplaces are available in a wide range of different sizes and it is important that you choose one that best fits the space that you have. While large fireplaces take center stage and act as a focal point, smaller fireplaces can work as the perfect accessory to any room.
Fireplace Superstore: magnificent fireplaces for every home
When you choose Fireplace Superstore, finding the right fireplace for your home and lifestyle has never been easier. Whether you choose to browse our extensive range online or visit our fireplace shop in Cheadle Hulme to view over 150 live displays, we are guaranteed to have something for everyone.
Our skilled team have decades of experience and are happy to offer advice to ensure that you find the perfect fireplace for you. Once you find your dream fireplace, our accredited in-house engineers can install your fireplace for you so that you can begin enjoying the warmth of a fire in your own home as soon as possible. We believe that a fireplace truly does make a house a home.
To view our extensive range online, simply visit our website today.